The Green Building Initiative (GBI) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission is:
"To reduce climate impacts by improving the built environment. We deliver education, standards, assessments, and certifications through an inclusive and global community."
Our strategy for accomplishing our goals involves education and promotion on the use of GBI's Green Globes certification program for commercial buildings and GBI's Guiding Principles Compliance and third-party assessment program for federal building sustainability requirements.
Sustainable, healthy, and resilient buildings for all.
Mission-critical Objectives & Principles
GBI’s primary objectives and principles are to:
- Decrease carbon emissions and support growth of carbon neutral buildings.
- Improve water efficiency through strategies that include reducing consumption, increasing recycling, and using alternative sources of water.
- Promote health and well-being through excellence in planning for design, construction, use, accessibility, operations, maintenance, and low impact deconstruction of buildings.
- Pursue the goal of zero waste using life-cycle thinking to reduce, reuse, recover, and recycle while emphasizing responsible design, production, purchasing, and consumption.
- Support the use and advancement of smart buildings and other technology in achieving sustainability, health, and resilience objectives.
- Provide quality education that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce for all levels of learners.
- Foster respectful and inclusive communities where transparency, consensus, due process, diversity, equity, inclusivity, openness, and innovation are guiding tenets.
- Encourage collaborative reporting on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) objectives and U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) toward collective action and achievement of positive, measurable impacts.
Through careful investment of its resources, GBI is advancing toward a global governance and membership structure with tools and services in multiple languages for increased global impact.
GBI makes aspirational goals achievable through user-friendly tools built upon comprehensive standards and supported by outstanding staff and expert assessors. As a nonprofit community, we are educators and coaches first, supporting performance improvement of all buildings.
- Our education programs support lifelong learning about the intersection between buildings, people, and our planet.
- We credential individuals and certify buildings in the pursuit of continuous improvement of our communities.
- We foster collaborative approaches to achieve global sustainability, health, and resilience goals.
- We deliver our services with a central commitment to transparency, consensus, due process, diversity, equity, inclusion, openness, and innovation.
- We are member-driven leaders mentoring a future generation that will continue our mission and ensure the viability of our organization.
- We reinvest continuously to provide user-friendly technology to support our community.
- We support reporting on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) goals and will report as an organization in support of the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- Building stakeholders. GBI's education programs, tools, standards, and assessments support building owners, sustainability consultants, designers, developers, builders, contractors, government agencies, facility managers, building operators, occupants, tenants, product and service providers, communities, higher education, and students that strive to improve the built environment through the application of sustainability, health, and resilience best practices.
- Global organizations that collaborate to achieve sustainability, health, and resilience goals based on GBI's objectives and principles. GBI impacts the market by supporting collaboration and reporting on environment, social, and governance (ESG) and as well as CSR priorities. GBI lends support and thought leadership to organizations that are working to increase use of best practices to improve buildings and reduce impacts on the environment.