GBI's Green Globes Distinction in Health & Wellness
A Distinction for Design, Construction, and Facility Operations of Buildings Pursuing Green Globes New Construction (NC) or Existing Buildings (EB) Certification
Americans spend approximately 90% of their time indoors, which emphasizes the important opportunity that buildings have to positively impact human health. By applying science and consensus-based best practices related to occupant health and well-being, GBI’s Green Globes Distinction in Health & Wellness (H&W) recognizes those opportunities that can result in a healthier built environment for all.
Green Globes certification at the One, Two, Three, or Four Green Globes level combined with earning a “Distinction” supports building owners, CFOs, CSOs, and leasing / human resources teams by validating practices that directly support achievement of social objectives within ESG reporting frameworks.
Green Globes Distinction in Health & Wellness Supports ESG Objectives
- Green Globes certification, as a multi-attribute system, qualifies for full points within GRESB under building certifications.
- Green Globes certification can help companies pursuing B Corp certification as Green Globes is an approved green building certification program through B Labs.
- Green Globes certification supports social ESG objectives within a portfolio’s ESG implementation plan.
- Green Globes Distinction in Health & Wellness can also be part of a dual certification effort with CfAD’s Fitwel, IWBI’s various WELL recognition opportunities, or UL’s Verified Healthy Building mark.
Minimum Requirements for Green Globes Distinction in Health & Wellness
Based on occupancy needs, owners can use either a tailored multifamily or a commercial building approach to earning the Distinction in Health & Wellness, and all projects must achieve the minimum requirements and minimum supporting criteria.
- Minimum requirements: All minimum requirements must be met and are crucial to support the Health & Wellness of occupants. Projects must meet all the relevant sections listed in each requirement to meet stated H&W goals. The Green Globes Assessor will evaluate and ensure that projects have met all the applicable sections.
- Supporting criteria: Projects must also meet a minimum of 55% of supporting Health & Wellness criteria available within the Green Globes rating system. Each supporting criterion is equal for the purpose of earning the Distinction. Unlike a standard Green Globes certification, use of N/A or not applicable does not change the requirements to achieve 55% of supporting criteria for this Distinction.
Green Globes Distinction in Health & Wellness Objectives
- Enhancing occupant comfort through thermal and acoustic considerations and environmental controls.
- Minimizing potential for mold and dust to promote respiratory health.
- Improving indoor air quality with ventilation best practices.
- Providing access to clean water and nutritious food.
- Supporting positive mental health with daylighting and external views.
- Mitigating risks through practices that support safety, security, cleaning, and disinfection.
- Maintaining systems to ensure water quality for all uses.
- Encouraging site planning and access for physical activity, such as walking and biking.
- Minimizing potential of chemical exposures through source control and purposeful material evaluation and selection.
Green Globes Distinction in Health & Wellness Building-level Health & Wellness Goals
- Occupant comfort
- IAQ, ventilation, thermal comfort, and moisture
- Water quality
- Acoustical comfort
- Pest and dust management
- Healthy practices
Support for Project Teams
Project teams pursuing Green Globes Distinction in Health & Wellness receive an Excel checklist with all Minimum Requirements plus Supporting Criteria to keep tally. The companion Green Globes EB 2021 and Green Globes NC 21 Technical Manuals provide detailed assessment guidance, including industry standards, references, and best practices to guide project teams to achieve the listed criteria. As with all Green Globes projects, the Client Services team fields process and technical queries to support project teams throughout the assessment and certification process. Third-party Green Globes Assessors also recommend criteria for project teams towards operations beyond the Distinction.
Get Started with Green Globes
Send us an email with your project information and our Client Services team will be in touch.